Monday 13 June 2011

Bobbing Along Issue 2. April 1989 (still 40p, still cheap)

 Bobbing Along Issue 2


The front cover
Undeterred by overwhelming public apathy, work on Issue 2 began almost immediately. Sales of issue 1 were encouraging. I wasn't exactly thinking of giving up my day job but had I had a paper round I might have given that up. It cost more to produce than I was charging. This was before the days of cheap printers from Currys and letraset wasn't cheap, either (or is that either?).

This time more voices were heard as a steady flow of additional contributors (two) came forward to help out.  This allowed the number of pages to increase from 10 to 12. Even so, the last two pages were something of a stretch to produce and not particularly good.

In a recession busting deal, the cover price remained at 40p.

In hindsight there was probably no good reason to rush out an issue so quickly other than the pleasure in writing and producing it. Selling the mag was a pain.  Had I known then about the internet I would have sat on it for twenty years as copies of Issue 1 are rumoured to fetch anything up to 45p on eBay.


 
Badmouth


If looks could kill

This graphic was never used. I don't know why because when I found it, it made me laugh out loud. Letraset really was wonderful. I have always wanted to be a cut out head with a strapline in a newspaper after overtrimming my passport sized photograph on a buss pass and liking the effect.

John Sadler provides a role model here for any aspiring journalist that wants to end up looking like a bleary-eyed,  horse molester who hasn't slept for 22 days straight. This is the face of a man who has never held a newborn baby or wept in the arms of a loved one or enjoyed a football match, ever.

If you want to read more Bobbing Along Issue 2 and read a detailed commentary of the life and times of Cardiff City, it is Here.

Available from Amazon Kindle

 







No comments:

Post a Comment